hey Mark

Groovyness.  Glad it didn't turn into total disaster.

on the subject of hardware -- since going with linux i've been learning more about
hardware.  i wasn't really keep up with that side of things.  when i bought the compaq
box i have now i had no idea there was such a thing as a "winmodem".  when i found out
just what i had occupying space on com1 i was just stunned.  good thing i found out
about 'winprinters' before i dropped some cash on that.

me thinks low quality hardware is probably the source of much pain in the linux
community.  even to a newbie like me linux seems pretty easy to get along with if it
has a nice home.

laterz

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2:12:32 PM 12/7/00 >>>
Hi Adrian,

I found a pleasant surprise when I started loading Linux back onto my workstation
today. I had 7.2 running briefly, but because the hardware on that computer is SO
incompatible with Mandrake 7.2 a LOT of things were either broken or would not work at
all no matter what.

As I was looking around a hard drive that I was sure was wiped out, Lo and behold ALL
my data files and EVERYTHING that was on the /home partition was still there. I lost
literally everything on the windows side of the hard drive, but all my data on the
linux side survived. :) that was a VERY pleasant sight for my very sore eyes indeed!

At present I am busily re-installing Mandrake 7.1 back onto this workstation. Had that
one on there before running very well, except for Star Office, but all in all Mdk 7.1
works well on this machine.

It appears that most of the troubles I've had at least not withstanding the mess that
the installer caused yesterday, are hardware related due to the fact that the now
defunct Quantex company used very low standard quality hardware in their PC's, that is
almost so bad that I barely got Windows installed and running this morning.