hi Paul --
thanks for responding.  i checked my config file and it contains
ViewPort 0 0
already.  does this mean i should try changing those settings?
or would my problem be something else?
thanks yet again    =)

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Adrian Smith wrote:

>but the question -- i don't quite know if i can describe this so you
>will understand, but i will try.  =)  the very left edge of my monitor
>(as i'm looking at it) is displaying a very thin slice of whatever is
>actually about 3-4 inches from the left edge of the screen.  thus if i
>move a window to the very edge, that slice of it will disappear under
>the display of whatever is 3-4 inches over.  hmmm...  is that english?
>
>i have everything shut down now, but do y'all think this might cause
>actual damage?

Hi Adrian,
It looks as if, in XF86Config-4 the viewport of your desktop is virtual.
Meaning that it is larger than the physical screen. That causes the
strange scrolling behaviour.
My XF86Config-4 (the config for Xfree 4) says:

Section "Screen"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

Viewport in your file would be larger than the physical screen. Set that
to 0 0 and try again (just restart X)

And no, this behaviour won't damage your computer. Actually I know people
who set that up, and want it!

To find out the version of X you run XFree86 -version:

[root@internet X11]# XFree86 -version

XFree86 Version 4.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 1 July 2000
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.17-21mdksmp i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present

Good luck!

Paul

--