Just installed Linux for Windows carefully reading all info and checking update on hardware compatibilies. After rebooting the screen has vertical flickering lines with multiple penguins and mouse cursor.

HP Pavilion 500MHz AMD K6-II
280 Ram
ATI All In Wonder 128 32MHz
10 G Harddrive

I carefully went through X setup during installation picking my monitor and video card. I tried different configuration on color and depth settings but upon testing I get an error message and a list drops down pointing to my keyboard, mouse, monitor, video card, and other I am not familiar with.