Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 December 2000 12:55 pm, Thomas Matelich wrote:
> > I've been having problems with MandrakeUpdate, so I went to get the
> > cooker version,
>
>    Do Not use cooker rpms, for anything.

Party pooper.  Ok, I can deal with that.  My problem with
MandrakeUpdate, like the other poster today, is that it downloads the
rpms and says it installed, but they are actually not installed.  I
decided to go install them by hand.

Yesterday I tried bash1_blah_blah with a rpm -Uvh and everything
appeared to work normally.  Except it didn't return after all the hashes
had been printed.  My hard drive started crunching and I couldn't do
anything with the system.  It still sort of responds, but so slowly that
you can't really tell.  The mouse moves a couple of pixels every
second.  I ended up hitting the reset button after about a half hour.

Today I tried to update cups and cups-devel in the same command, cups
appears to have finished fine, but then it went into that almost locked
up state.  It has been like this for about a half hour again.  Its kind
of like when locate is updating it's database.  Maybe its rebuilding the
rpm database?  I have no idea.  Anyway, I'm going to give it another 45
minutes just for fun, then I'll try it from console mode.  After that,
I'm not sure what I'll try.  Any suggestions?

--
Thomas O Matelich
Senior Software Designer