Tom Brinkman said:

"If you explore the modem related info there, it's believed that any
hardware modem built around a USR or Texas Instruments chipset are the
best.  You needn't have to buy an external modem.  They cost more and
what with cable and all, take up space. Plus they deprive you of one of
your serial ports."

Speaking of chipsets, the cheapest external modems seem to be those with
Rockwell chipsets, at least here in New Zealand.  I'm not too sure what the
story is with this - it seems from what I've found on the web that the older
rockwell chipset modems were semi-winmodem but later ones tend to have
hardware error correction.  Since suppliers are only telling me "has
Rockwell chipset" when I ask to quote for a Linux compatible modem, do I
have any need to be worried about compatability?  I've looked at the modem
compatibility page at
http://members.tripod.co.uk/uk_radio_amateurs/modemlin.html but the
brands/models we get downunder don't feature on it.
Cheers
Barry