Hi Geoff.

Geoff Thomas wrote:

> Where in the startup files is Hostname set? I'd like to permanantly
> change my hostname. Currently, the hostname is my  ISP IP address (???)
> GT

The hostname is set by the hostname command, /bin/hostname.  But usually
that's done by a startup script (/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit) that reads the
contents of a configuration file (/etc/sysconfig/network) that contains
the name you want.  In that file, you should see a HOSTNAME variable.
Set it to what you like.  Keep in mind, however, that if you're
connecting to your ISP via DHCP (as you likely would with a cable or DSL
line), you'll save yourself some grief by appending "localdomain" to
your hostname.  So if for example you wanted to name your box Merle, you
would put this line in /etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=merle.localdomain

That should cause your login prompt to "welcome you to merle."

If you have a static IP address, then forget what I just said.  :-)

Other questions that begin "where in the startup files...?" can often be
answered by the following command:

# grep -i "text to search for" $(find /etc/rc.d -type f)

Here's the output for a "hostname" search:

# grep -i hostname $(find /etc/rc.d -type f)
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql:      pid_file=$datadir/`hostname`.pid
/etc/rc.d/rc:#               things, such as setting the hostname.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:if [ -z "$HOSTNAME" -o "$HOSTNAME" = "(none)" ];
then
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:    HOSTNAME=localhost
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:# Set the hostname.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:action "Setting hostname ${HOSTNAME}: " hostname
${HOSTNAME}
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:       hostname ${HOSTNAME}
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:   # Reset the hostname.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:   action "Resetting hostname ${HOSTNAME}: "
hostname ${HOSTNAME}

If you take a closer look at rc.sysinit, you'll see that the file
/etc/sysconfig/network is "sourced" near the top.

-- Jim
http://www.lads.com/~jim