You probably still need to setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port <whatever>
irq  <whichever> spd_hi

And you probably need to put this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local  file to run
each time you boot.  I think you still need to do this even if its a
external.  Just input the above line when you find your port # and irq # in a
terminial and see.  If it works then put in a start up script.  You can
probably find your port # and irq # in some config files probably in /etc/
directory.  You might find them in Control Panel under information.
-s