Wow! Thanks for replying, this is beginning to make some sense. Actually, I used
KPackage w/
"Upgrade", "Replace Packages", and "Check Dependancies" checked. I was following the
MandrakeUser.org directions and realized that I sould have done it from a shell right
after
pressing the Kpackage "Install" button because I couldn't be sure what was really
happening.
Anyway, I decided to finish using Kpackage for consistency (my mistake).

What do you think is my best course of action from here: 1) Uninstall rpm's and do it
again (rpm
-ivh?)from a shell or prompt, 2) re-install (w/o uninstall) from a shell or prompt, 3)
Compile
another kernel from source?

I've compiled a kernel once before, 6 months ago,  and don't remember it being all
that difficult
and failry quick (30-45 minutes).

Victor