I have the following instructions for building a driver for my soundcard:
                                                 .
                                                 .
                                                 .

STEPS TO BUILD DRIVER

  1. Backup the Config.in and Makefile in the sound driver directory
     (/usr/src/linux/driver/sound).

  2. Extract the tar file by 'tar xvzf cmpci-xx.tar.gz' in the above
     directory.

  3. Change directory to /usr/src/linux

  4. Config cm8338 driver by 'make menuconfig', 'make config' or
     'make xconfig' command.

  5. Please select Sound Card (CONFIG_SOUND=m) support and CMPCI
     driver (CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI=m) as modules. Resident mode not tested.
     For driver option, please refer 'DRIVER PARAMETER'

  6. Compile the kernel if necessary.

  7. Compile the modules by 'make modules'.

  8. Install the modules by 'make modules_install'

....... and then some more stuff.

My problem is that I can't find the directory (/usr/src/linux/driver/sound).
This does not seem to be a part of Mandrake7.2.
Can any of you more enlightened readers tell me if the above instructions
seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Mickey Soltys