Gang:

I'm trying to install Mandrake 7.2 on my third system. The first two
were walks through the doughnut shop, but this one is being a bit picky.

Here is the problem:

The installation goes wonderfully well, and when the system finishes, it
reboots. It goes through the startup screens just fine and I get "okays"
on everything, but when it switches to X it just fades to black. I can
go into failsafe and then into X sometimes just fine. I'm just wondering
what is happening when I boot normally. I believe it has something to do
with resolution but I change that when I boot text mode and configure it
manually. Nothing seems to work. It works if I use a Trident card and
the video card having troubles works fine in Bill's operating system.
Any thoughts?

System specs:
Video - S3Virge/DX 86C375 4meg
AMD k6-2 450mhz