I'll try to tell you what i did, but unfortunatly I am
away from my computer (and install notes) till Jan3!
And yes, I have 3d accell working- man quake 3 is
cool!

I had to mix and match instructions from soooo many
sources.  I have the Viper V770 using the TNT2 -so I
presume the install will be the same for the other
drivers.  You need the nvidia kernel 0.9-5 and glx
tarballs - dont get the rpms.
gunzip and untar them in a temp directory.
go to the Nvidia kernel directory and run:
make SYSINCLUDE=/usr/src/linux/include
Now you have to remove all of the traces of libGL:
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
mv libGLcore.a libGLcore.a.mesa
mv libglx.a libglx.a.mesa
cd /usr/X11R6/lib
mv libGL.so libGL.so.mesa
mv libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1.mesa
mv libGL.so.1.0 libGL.so.1.0.mesa
mv libGL.so.1.2.0 libGL.so.1.2.0.mesa
I can't remember nor find the help files I used, but
search your computer for other libGL files.
next go to the Nvidia glx directory and run: make
Then goto /etc/X11/ and edit the XF86Config-4 file
(not the XF86Config file) and change the entry Driver
"nv" to Driver "nvidia", I think it is in the screen
section.  Also add the line Load "glx" to the Module
section.
This last part seems to be a problem with M7.2 - you
have to
cd /etc/X11
rm X
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 X
so that you are now using the right server.
Finally, if X locks up when you load it you need to
add
the line that removes AGP support in you config file -
I forgot what it is, but it should be listed on the
Nvidia help file.
After that, quake should run!
check out
http://members.home.net/linuxfrog/nvidia.html