> On Wednesday 20 December 2000 11:34 pm, you wrote:
> > I can't even get my soundcard to work and my PnP Bios has always been
> > "off." I exited X and "su"ed to root and typed sndconfig and it still
> > doesn't play sound in the test screen...Stupid Sound Blaster Live! Value
> > cards...grrr...

> Dear Mr. Smith,
> I have a Stupid Sound Blaster Live! Value (pci) on one machine and it works
> as well as sound does in Mandrake (with the aRts and all).  I have found that
> the trick is to run sndconfig first thing after install and reboot.  So
> unless you've spent 8 hours updating, maybe reinstall and run sndconfig the
> very first thing.  My modem is pci, and the video is agp (which is another
> problem that I need help with).

  While this may very well do the trick, there are other routes
you might consider.  One I've found helpful -- mostly with old
hardware -- is to try each of the modules listed in sndconfig one
at a time till one works.

  Another I'm planning to try this weekend with a much newer box
if the bios update I got doesn't do it is to try the free oss
which comes with lm instead of alsa.  As oss had worked when I
had RH 6.0 installed, I see no reason it not worth a shot.  May
work for you too.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux