On Friday 22 December 2000 19:02, you wrote:

> > hello every body:
>
> I'm a newbie to linux/mandrake,after I have installed Mandrake 7.2,every
> thing seems successful,but my excitement only last a few seconds.
 when
> reboot after Mandrake installation,my hard drive can not startup!
> some of the error messages appear on screen as follow:

> sh: /usr/lib/libd.so.2: no version information available(required by sh)
> sh: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: undefined
> symbol: _dl_global_scope_end
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> any help is appreciated!
>
> Michael

Your disk drive is toast or your memory is bad.  Check the memory first, but
it looks like a lot of compounded disk write errors.

GNU/Linux is much much less forgiving of hardware errors than any other op
system....  It always tries to use ALL of memory for something because its
philosophy is that usused memory is wasted memory, so it shows up memory
errors that existed undetected fior months or years on a Windows system
(undetected, that is, except for modem freezes and game crashes).

If the memory is good, try a reinstall, hit F1 at the splash screen and type
either

linux idebus=33

or

linux ide0=noautotune

to avoid the problems of a disk advertising that it can do ATA/66 (with
errors) when it can do ATA/33 without.

Civileme