That's an interesting answer...  I've done kernel rebuilds quite a few times
with quite varied outcomes.  It almost always works, yet very seldom does it
work better than it did before the rebuild.  What I would like to see on my
Christmas wish list is if some talented individual could make up some cheat
sheets for the most common setups that would cover all the options that you
are faced with on a rebuild.  I've noticed that after the most obvious
questions, I get faced with some that are, too me, very cryptic.  Don't get
me wrong, it's fun to play with that stuff; but at the end of the day, I
would like to have my computer running the way I want and be able to play
quake or type an email.

I guess I said all that too say this:  Don't start compiling until you've
had a look at a few howtos on the hardware that you're using.  I've found
that the stock kernel usually comes with everything tweaked just fine -
compile if you need some cool new feature that's not made it's way into that
kernel yet (like ide RAID; Promise has a driver available for redhat 6.2 and
7 but not for any other distro).

Mike