Hi Michael

> Quite possible that you have a winmodem there.  It uses "Windows" software
> emulate hardware functionality.  If it is indeed a winmodem, it may not
work
> in linux at all.  The reasons I believe it may be a winmodem are the PCI
> (most, but not all, are winmodems) and the unusual port placement
(winmodems
> are often on odd ports).  Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm correct, you may need
> get a real modem, preferably an external or internal ISA that can be
verified
> as hardware type.
> HTH,
> Mike

Thanx for the advice here. I do happen to have an external modem, and it
seems you may well be correct about the modem since no actual driver is
loaded under windows. My motherboard sadly doesn't have ISA slots so that
particular option is out for me. I do however have the serial ports, usb
ports, pci slots, and an amr slot. I'd rather keep the serial port free for
the palm pilot so would consider an amr modem if linux supports those

James

http://home.netscape.com/webmail