James,

  Go to this link :  http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/rg/  - there is some good
info concerning what modems will work.

  Two PCI modems are listed as working , they are

              Actiontec PCI Call-Waiting - model PCI56012-01CW

              3COM/USR PCI - model 3cp5610a

  I am using a 3COM/USR EXT model 5686-03 and it is working fine. The truth
of the matter is with Windows and Linux/Unix you will probably be better off
using an external modem. Many older DOS and Windows based programs, some
still on the market, have trouble supporting PCI slotted modems. I suspect
that with the current bus mastering been used on motherboards and the lack
of support from PCI modem manufactures, in regards to Linux, even a PCI
modem that CAN be used, may pose some problems as far as getting a clean
IRQ.

good luck,

Louis