Okay, I've now got my Polaroid 640 PDC plus working with Gphoto v.43, and all
is well... ;-)

I ended up disabling onboard serial port 1, and using "auto" on port 2.

<embarassed mode on>

I umm....also....ahem, got the 1/8 inch mini-jack serial port cable correctly
plugged into the camera...(it took a lot more force than I ever imagined, and a
final "click")

<embarrassed mode off>

;-)

--