On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, William Wakefield wrote:

>I am very new to Linux having installed Mandrake 7.2 about 3 weeks ago
>and two or three times since.
>A problem I am having and completely fail to understand is that my HP
>930 C  printer was auto detected and installed on a automagic
>recommended installation and printed a test page but just sits and
>stares at me when requested to print  by using the print command in a
>word processor or text editor. No way can I induce it to print. The
>printer is connected to a USB port and works just fine in windoze.
>What am I missing and how might I get this thing to print.

If you try to send a small textfile to the printer, what happens then:

e.g.

cd /tmp
ls / > test
lpr test

Does that print the directory contents of your root dir? If yes, then the
problem is perhaps that your wordprocessor fails (which program is it?)

If the test above does not print, then there may not be a default printer
on your system.

Then first try to find out the name of your printer on your system and
type

lpr -P <printername> /tmp/test

Does that bring anything?
Paul (no printer expert, but I can handle it so far ;)

--
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own,
though for a small fee they can be yours too."

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
             Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Pine 4.31