Happy 7th day of Christmas! (7 penguins a swimming?)

The message I sent earlier this morning has not yet appeared, so hear is
some more information on the same problems.

The Linux login works almost to the end.  The last entry I can read says
:
Running Linuxconf hooks

Then something about fonts skips past as the Aurora screen is cleared
for the Login Window.  The screen goes black, then some colours flicker
across the top half in no coherent shape, and then I am back at the text
prompt, the first two lines of which read:
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 3
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal

Things just sit there, and when I do the Vulcan nerve pinch
(Ctrl-Alt-Del) it goes back to Aurora, with the entry X Font Server
marked with an orange X (all the other entries ahve green checks) and
finishes off with a reboot back to Lilo.

>From Lilo, choosing the 'failsafe' boot, Text option gets me to the
login prompt /root, and when I enter 'startx' (I read that somehwere) I
get more output than I can possible read in the time it is displayed,
ending with the following:
---snip---
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error
could not open default font 'fixed'

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full
server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
---snip---

1. How can I fix this from the terminal?
2. How can I capture the whole of the 'server output?'

Thank you for your help,
Kipling+