Mike:
Odd. I've been doing a lot of reinstalling lately, and my experience is
exactly the opposite to your's. LM 7.1 recognized my Logitech USB mouse
right off the bat, but Win98SE refused to acknowledge it. I finally had
to use the USB/PS-2 adapter to complete the installation, and add the
USB part later. That may be because the VIA USB drivers can't be loaded
until Win is installed.
Stuff like this is the reason for the YMMV tag.
Regards,
Carroll