Paul wrote:

> Hi Pieter
>
> > > on all the sources and also the gcc compiler being installed.
> > they are installed. The problem is that i cannot boot the system (unable
> > to mount root fs), i think it is because probably the kernel uses a scsi
> > module to access the scsi devices, but therefor it needs to have the
> > root fs mounted, but this is on a scsi dev.
>
> Ah, that is the problem...
> Have you tried loading the kernel like this, from the lilo prompt:
>
> linux 3 root=/dev/sda?
>
> where ? is the partition where you have the root directory installed?
> Or is the problem that your kernel cannot access the scsi disks because it lacks SCSI
> support? (In which case I would not know what to do.)
> (I have not yet managed to get this command working from Grub)

it is indeed the lack of SCSI support that hangs the system. (as far as
i can see)
during installation there was a ramdisk containing the necessary
modules, but the mandrake 7.1 installation does not give the user the
oppurtunity to make a bootdisk, (sorry for the voabulary, but
_This_Sucks_Big_Time). If i could get a bootdisk for mandrake-linux on
alpha i would be extremely happy ( because this problem is hanging
several weeks now, and nobody seems to have a solution)

> Hmm. Perhaps you can create a dos boot diskette with scsi support for your disks and
> cdrom, and go for a text-install from there. Perhaps that gets you in the right
>direction.
> (THis is just a thought, not a proven way to go.)

problem is that it is an alpha workstation, so dos-bootdisks won't help
me a lot. The really big problem is that i don't have a working alpha to
recompile the kernel... or to create a valid bootdisk.

> Good luck / groeten uit Nederland
thx, evenzoveel groeten uit Leuven (Belgie) en beste wensen voor het
komende millenium! ;-)

Pieter