On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 21:08:56 -0600, Dennis Myers said:

> On Tuesday 02 January 2001 08:41 pm, you wrote:
>  > Hi i have just installed Linux madrake version 7.1 on my system pII 400,
>  > 196mbram, voodoo3 video 16mb, ensoniq audio.  Everything works except the
>  > modem.  I have tried every possible combination of settings in the kpp
>  > program. My modem is a Diamond SupraExpress modem, which is not a
>  > winmodem.
>  > Actually i had this exact modem working on another system that i had under
>  > linux.  What am i doing wrong.. I am pretty new to linux. Please help
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>  If you are absolutely sure that it is not a winmodem, then I suggest you
>  check the IRQ setting. Is the modem a jumpered modem? If so check the IRQ
>  setting and then check to see what your bios setting is for modem IRQ. If not
>  jumpered go to DrakeConf and do HardDrake to see if it is detected there.
>  (actually you might want to do that first) Again check the bios IRQ as I have
>  had everything look good in KPPP but no connection cause the bios setting was
>  not matching what I was plugging into the config. This is not a very likely
>  solution, but still worth checking. Some one else with more experience jump
>  in here please.  Good luck,

Also ensure that you're not trying to use /dev/cu(x) (these device points are
now
or soon will be redundant) or /dev/ttyS0 (Com1 for Windows) this last because
it's
most likely that whatever your mousetype - it's going to be linked to
/dev/ttyS0.

Cheers

--
                                      Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"