> You have ATA/100 out of the box, just enable HD optimisations.
>
> RAID on IDE isn't really RAID but a software/firmware
> implementation, very
> bastardized. You should be able to run dual boot with a windows RAID and
> linux on the non-RAID partitions, and linux will see the RAID
> incorrectly so
> no file exchange.
>
> There are four competing RAIDs for IDE, all secret.  None work with linux
> because they are not really hardware RAIDs.  (check it out--you
> get ONE RAID
> partition).  There is a better implementation of RAID (pure software)
> available on linux, but though the manufacturers admit it is better than
> theirs, none will risk their "Intellectual Property".  For the opinion of
> Andre Hedrick, the guru of ide for the linux kernel, see this article.
>
> http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php3?sid=20001127032845
>
> If you want real RAID, get SCSI.
>
> Civileme

Pardon the intrusion...
        I'm running four striped ide disk drives from a Promise UDMA/66 Fasttrak
RAID card and the performance is great!  Only drawback is that Promise only
wrote drivers for Redhat 6.2/7.0.  However, the README included with the zip
file says that you can compile your kernel against this module if you want
to use another distribution.  You can check them out here:

 http://support.promise.com/Support

I don't know the specifics behind the modules, but I know I'm getting faster
performance than I did without the RAID card installed and I'm able to
multi-boot this computer between Win98, Win2000 and Redhat 7.0 just as I did
without the card.  The motherboard bios starts then kicks over to the
Promise bios, then to the MBR that's written across my four hard drives that
are configured as one array.
I just built a computer for a friend and installed the Fasttrak100 driver
and two ATA100 striped drives, quake 3 arena is unbelievable!

Mike