-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Erylon Hines
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 11:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Problems with adaptec 78xx.... again

Jorge Ramírez Llaca wrote:

> I've sent this one before, but since nobody answered me, here it goes
again:

> I'm trying to install Mandrake 7.2 (to get rid of NT workstation 4.0) but
> the installer hangs while trying to install the drivers for the SCSI
> controller.
> My computer has an ATrend ATC-6260 motherboard with an integrated adaptec
> 78xx ultra-wide SCSI controller, dual pentium II/400, 2 ethernet cards
(one
> for the cable modem and one for the internal network), a sound card based
on
> Yamaha 724 chipset, and a creative 3d blaster savage 4, 3 x 20 GB IDE HDs,
> IDE HP CD-RW, SCSI ZIP 100 and 2x 4.5 UW-SCSI HDs
> The installer detects my SCSI controller but freezes after displaying the
> message that it's installing the drivers for it. NT doesn't have trouble
> with those HDs
>
> Any opinions?

My boxes don't have any problem with that controller, but I only have a
CD drive on the ide in one of them, the other is all scsi (that one dual
boots NT, by the way).  Try pulling the plugs on some stuff to see if
the problem goes away (I'd start with the Zip).  Linux is much more
finicky about borderline hardware than Windows, and it sounds like it
might be a hardware problem to me. My scsi cards are not integrated,
however, and I've never used dual procs, so I couldn't say if that could
be a source of the failure.  Not much help, I know.