After long months of trying to get my Zip drive working in all flavors of
linux I discovered that you have to have your BIOS set the parport to EPP
ONLY on booting, no ECP, no EPP+ECP or anything else.  The other thing that I
found that makes using Zip drives under Linux easy is a program called LOMEGA.
You get a GUI similar to Iomega's Iomegaware.  It allows you to lock and
unlock disks and supports compressed file backups.  I got mine at SourceForge

--
John Batt, OSL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]