Tom,

> > I'm not aware of there being any problem making mountpoints
> > off / like /win.  That way, you not only save yourself a
> > little typing, but have a meaningful shortcut to the actual
> > device (which I think is the whole point).

>    I favor doing this too.  I always move my Windoze HDD (hda) out of
> /mnt. I currently mount it on /c.  When I had a fat32 partition on hdb
> (my Linux HDD), I mounted it as /d.  This is 'specially nice with
> supermount, since you don't have the pause while supermount checks your
> removable media drives (eg, floppy, CD, CD-RW) for inserted media.
> IIRC, the multi-disk howto also recommends mounting drives/partitions
> directly off '/' , to improve disk performance, tho I've never seen a
> difference.

  I think I remember something being mentioned in the howto about
that too, but I'm certainly not one to follow ~all~ the advice in
howto's;-).

  As for performance, my internal zip was off of / in RH, but
lm7.2 installed it in /mnt.  I don't really mind, but you're
right, there seems to be no difference in boot time.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux