On Friday 12 January 2001 08:36 am, Kevin Tambascio wrote:
> Have any of your tried the 2.4 kernel yet?

    I've tried several over the past few months.  They're get'n better,
either that or I am ;)  'Course my usual formula is to have a few beers
and then decide to give 2.4.x another try  ;>  I've always been able to
boot them, but with mixed levels of success running them.  Last try
was last night with kernel-source-2.4.0-2mdk.  It's all there in the
config, no patches needed .. ppp_generic, ppp_async, ppp_deflate to get
dialup going, ReiserFS support, and supermount, all built-in rather
than as modules. Stuff like Vfat I also build in, and enable legacy
support for ipchains so I don't have to redo firewall and portsentry.
Size has been almost 100k bigger than my 2.2.x kernels at 750k. I could
trim that down tho.

   I can get a flawless 2.4 going, but not with supermount working ;(
'supermount -i enable' is ignored, with supermount either built in or
as a module.  If I force the situation by putting in a saved supermount
'fstab', then I get a kernel panic on re-boot. I suspect it's a
supermount/ReiserFS deal. I haven't fooled with tryin to fix it very
much tho, I just get frustrated and reboot 2.2.18 ;)

    While running 2.4.x, about the only thing I've noticed is a very
slight improvement in system response, slightly quicker loading.  2.4's
memory management is said to be improved.  My hdparm checks on HDD's
were no change from 2.2.x.  I don't have anything that needs 2.4. I
just try it out of curiosity.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay

 I tried to install and