The man for startx says that there is a file called .xinitrc in
the user's home directory that references the last xwindow
session used and runs that one.  If the .xinitrc is not in the
user's home directory, it uses the file called xinitrc in the
xinit library directory.  I didn't find it in my home, but you
can find it in the X11 directories, also the bash file that sets
the configuration and indicates the last session settings.

I was hoping to find a command option that would give me what I
wanted, but haven't located that yet.

I experimented some and 'startx ?' didn't give me options, but
loaded up Icewm instead.  I was in kde.

Anyway, on with the search.

Barry :-)