Hi all,

My BIOS is set to non-PnP. My ISA (real) modem can be
jumpered to a specific IRQ, or to PnP. It's currently set to
PnP, which works fine in Win98. Linux is a different story.

Here's what I've done so far: I used pnpdump to get possible
settings, and after verifying at /proc/interrupts that it
was free, I chose IRQ 4 for /etc/isapnp.conf file.
(Incidentally, pnpdump gave me two choices for this
particular setting: one in which you choose the io address,
and the other where you choose the IRQ. Only the IRQ choice
worked.) I then ran "isapnp /etc/iaspnp.conf", and Linux
reported that life was good.

But when I try to connect to the Internet in KDE, I'm told
that the modem "won't respond" to either /dev/ttyS0 or to
/dev/modem (which would be the same, thanks to modemtool).
If I try ttyS1 or anything else, I'm told that the device is
"busy", so it knows something is different about ttyS0.

I've been reading and working through this problem for
almost 4 hours, and I've about given up. What do I do from
here?

Miark