I just found this in a ng submitted but not signed by a Roger, it may (or may
not) be what you need, but I think it's worth looking into:

"another one that didn't read the readme file! (i didn't either lol :)

you may need the new modutils package (i had mdk 7.2 for which i upgraded
my modutils package to the currect which is 2.4.*)

goto the ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/utilities/ (or similar url) and
d/l the modutils tar.gz.

make it into an rpm:

rpm -ta modutils*tar.gz

and will make an rpm in the /usr/src/RPM (or similar dir -- i have a 686 so
i benefit from compiling my own stuff instaed of using 586 stuff--a slight
gain).

All modules miraculously worked after i did this.

also, make sure you did cp your 'System.map' and stuff to the /boot
dir....i usually do a 'make install' after i do 'make dep, make clean, make
bzImage'.  after that, and you did also a 'make modules make
modules_install'  to right?  *note: remove/rename your /lib/modules/2.4.0
or else it wont write any more new modules into the /2.4.0 dir...rename it
to 2.4.0-old or something."

HTH,
-s