Ben:
Thanks for a very informative reply -- I suspected something like this
was what makes EL work. As for the PAP/CHAP thing: I changed my setting
to CHAP last week, and it worked. I didn't notice any performance
differences, though. Shortly after I disconnected however, my (Linux)
hard drive decided to go bad. While my rational side is damn sure that
there was no connection between CHAP and bad HD, my irrational side does
not share the same view. Being descended from people who painted
themselves blue and danced in the woods, I'm pretty much a PAP kinda guy
for now.
Carroll