On Saturday 20 January 2001 01:32 am, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> Specifically, does anyone know how to
> make other cd roms read the cd rw you just burnt?
>
> I clicked on fixate to make it fixate the cd after the
> burn, this works on cd-r but not cd-rw, I can read
> the cd-rw in the burner, but not in the cdrom like
> I can the cd-r.
>
> Weird and I don't get it.
Hi, the problem may be that you have an older cdrom that can not read a cdrw
disc.  The cdrw disks have a material that goes thru a phase change when the
laser writes to it.  Kinda like ice just evaporates without melting?  Sorta
like that if you are not familiar with phase change. If you are, sorry not
being insulting or superior. Anyway when the laser writes the material
sandwiched in the plastic changes properties and stays that way until the
laser goes over it again at a different intensity to change it back and
effectively erase the data.  So, the reflective properties of the cdrw
material are not the same as those of the plain old cdrom and thus some of
the older or cheaper cdroms are not sensitive enough to read a cdrw. Did I
put any punctuation in that paragraph?  That is the most likely reason that
your cdrom won't read your cdrw discs.  There will be a test later.
--
  Dennis M.
  Registered Linux user #180842