I think I'll be saving this msg for another day...  Thanks for the info...
BobC

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of eryl
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 3:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake and Winnt

Bob Currey wrote:

> Yup, I did read that, and a bunch more...
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/MultiOS-HOWTO.html
>
> The how to, although having plenty of good info, does not address win/2000
> or nt at all since the author had neither.

Meph has his way, I have mine.  My preference is to use the NT/Win2000
bootloader to control the boot-up process.

Load Win2000(or NT4.0) first, preferrably on the 1st partition.  If
you're using 2 drives, put it on the primary drive (the Windows boot
sector needs to be on the drive that the bios looks at first).

Second, install linux and be absolutely certain that you create a boot
disk! Choose lilo as the bootloader and DO NOT install it to the mbr,
but install it to the first linux partition, mine is hda6 (or to the
linux drive if you are using 2 harddisks).  When this is done the
lilo.conf boot line (boot=) should point to the linux partition, NOT the
Win2000 partition.

Now, we need to get the linux boot sector to Windows 2000.  Boot with
the linux floppy and then remove the floppy, put in a blank diskette and
mount the drive (it will probably already be mounted, but if not use the
following command)  mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Copy the LILO boot sector to the floppy with the command:

dd if=/dev/hda6 bs=512 count=1 of=mnt/floppy/linux.bin

Substitute the hda6 for whatever your first linux partition is (you
know, the one that you installed LILO to).

Reboot into Windows2000 and copy the linux.bin file from the floppy to
your root drive (C:\).  Next, use Notepad to open the boot.ini file and
add the line:    C:\linux.bin="Mandrake Linux"    to the end of the file
(write the boot.ini file if you have to, unaccountably, some NT4.0
boot.ini's are blank.

This is what my boot.ini looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 /fa
c:\linux.bin="Mandrake Linux"

  Save and exit.  Open an MSDOS window and at the prompt:
      C:>attrib -s -r boot.ini

Reboot with no floppy in the drive and you should see an option for
Linux Mandrake.  You may need to open My Computer, choose Properties,
then Advanced and in the startup and recovery section check the box to
display all operating systems, and then set the number of seconds to
display the screen before booting the default OS.  You can make Linux
the default if you wish.