On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:54, Romanator wrote:
> Tony Finnis wrote:
> > Romator wrote:
> > > How did it Enlightenment set itself as the default graphical virtual
> > > desktop? I used to have KDE as my default autoboot for user. I would
> > > like to pick and choose my default. I can't reset it back to KDE. There
> > > must be some sort of .conf file for this? And, I'm not too crazy about
> > > reinstalling the entire Linux OS.
> >
> > Jesse replied:
> > >Are you using the graphical login manager?  If not, try editing
> > > .xsession in your home directory to /usr/bin/kde or wherever it is.
> > > You might have to edit that file as root, I'm not sure.
> >
> > Had exact same problem.
> > Corrected it as Jesse stated above.
> > In .xsession in home directory, remove line
> > exec /usr/bin/elightenment
> > and replace with
> > exec /usr/bin/startkde
> >
> > This fixed it for me
> >
> > Tony F
>
> Yep. I shelled out to console, and typed in: pico .Xclients
> Then, I edited the following line from: exec /usr/bin/enlightenment
> to   /usr/bin/kde
> Now, it works.
>
> I originally just added:      exec startkde
> By that only took me to the KDE GUI startup.
>
> Now, if I can work out how to "Logout->Shutdown and Restart" directly
> from user rather than always go to the KDE GUI prompt. And, how about
> that nasty flickering when logging out of user to the KDE prompt. Have
> you experienced this?
>
> Thanks go to Sridhar, Jesse and Tony F.

Shutting down and restarting are very powerful tools, since they involve the
killing of all processes. Hence, they require root privileges. You *could*
give yourself the power to shutdown/reboot from your user account, but that
would be very dangerous from a security perspective, since you would be in
effect logged in as root.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson