On Monday 22 January 2001 08:11 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have ML7.2 installed on my machine. I have about 128MB of RAM.
> After I log in if I see the mem occupancy using either Hard Drake or
> xsysinfo or one of the other X-utils, I see that only about 4-12 Megs
> appear to be free. Consequently the machine is horribly slow.
> Agreed that I am doing this on an old Cyrix 6X86 200MHz processor.
> But I still feel that 128 Megs ought to make the machine atleast
> launch an X-term quickly.
> Any idea why the machine is this slow?

(in an Xterm):  'free'
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        255484     252656       2828          0      18276
60408
-/+ buffers/cache:     173972      81512
Swap:       184676          0     184676

     You misunderstand memory usage.  In my example above, I have very
little 'Mem' shown as free, but that's because Linux is keeping 80mb
available in 'buffers/cache'.  That memory is readily available to any
app that needs it.  Memory handling is much different (and much better)
than with Windoze.

    If you're not using a lot of swap (-0- in my example above), the
slowness is prob'ly your hardware, particularly that Cyrix cpu. Have
you used 'hdparm' to optimize your HDD's ?

--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay