As I'm a cheap bastard I like to use free internet dialups like NetZero or
Juno, etc.

What are the thoughts on getting a 486 or P150 or something with a "minimal"
winblows 95 and dial up networking running networked to my P3 600 Mandrake
7.2 box?  Maybe I could find some kind of half baked windows "firewall" to
keep things a little on the safer side.

What is needed if I were to do this?  (Software on the Linux end I mean...)

There are advantages to this...  I can keep the ad bar they throw at you on
the windows box without a monitor and keep them happy.

After I get settled and save up a little $ I'm getting DSL so this is a
short term deal.

While I'm writing are there and recommendations on DSL services especially
considering Linux?

For sure I know I can get COVAD and QWEST and I think AT&T...

I looked at QWEST's service info and it said some thing I didn't really want
to see.  Although I think I could get it set up fine by myself.  I've found
phone techs to really be terrible and not worth their wages anyway...

Anyone know how they get it to not work with any other DSL modem?

**NOTE: The Qwest® Support Line for installation and repair only provides
support to the single PC application. It does not provide support to a LAN
or Hub application. Also, the Qwest® Support Line will not support customers
who work on a UNIX®, LINUX® or IBM OS2® platform.

Final NOTE: Qwest® MegaBit DSL service will only work with a Qwest® modem,
i.e., a Cisco® 675, 605 or Intel® 2100. Qwest® does NOT support DSL modems
purchased through ANY SOURCE OTHER THAN Qwest®. Any modems purchased outside
of the Qwest® offering will NOT work. U S WEST MegaBit Services® are
designed to work only with Qwest® modems. There are other brands and
configurations of DSL modems on the market, installed in "DSL ready"
computers and available through catalogs, the Internet and retailers. These
alternative DSL modems DO NOT comply with the Qwest® standard and WILL NOT
WORK with MegaBit Services. Alternatively, the U S WEST MegaBit Services®
modems will NOT work on other vendors' DSL service. Also, if you need an
initial or new Network Interface Card (NIC), you need to purchase it from a
computer retailer. Qwest® provides one NIC per DSL Line IF you choose one of
the U S WEST MegaBit Services® offerings along with the Cisco 675® modem.
Qwest® only supplies this NIC with the initial package.