On Monday 22 January 2001 13:03, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Mandrake 7.2 on a Pentium III pc and need to configure the
> machine as a DNS
> server.
>
> Can anyone here help ?
>
> I've configured the DNS server settings in Linuxconf but if i type nslookup
> on the command
> line, an error message appears that says 'server unavailable'. Its not even
> using the 5 second
> timeout before the error message comes up.
>
> any help would be really appreciated.

Well, that means the server is not running.  Normally it is set to OFF.

To make sure the server starts, you open DrakConf from a graphic desktop or
type DrakConf from the command line.  Go to startup services and make sure
named is listed and configured to start at boot time.

Now in addition, you may want to configure BIND8 from webmin.  To do this,
from the machine you want to configure, enter netscape or Konqueror and use
this URL

https://127.0.0.1:10000

login as root and give the root password then click on the servers tab to
configure BIND8  (BIND4 is old and should not be used for new installations)

Of course Webmin can be accessed from a remote, given the right IP, with
https on port 10000, even using MSIE if you like.  You have the option in
webmin setup to change how it behaves and where it will listen.  Also, you
will have to do this if you have a server install since you won't have a
local graphic desktop.

Civileme