Basically i've got a problem with installing the alsa drivers 0.5.9d ;
0.5.10 and 0.5.10a for my yamaha pci sound card on Linux-Mandrake 7.2 .

In 7.1 where my sound didn't work at all, i installed 0.5.9d without a
problem. However, in 7.2 i have got sound but the quality is absolutely
terrible.
Incidentally 7.2 installed 0.5.9c for my  soundcard. I followed the
instructions as provided by the 'Installing ALSA for the Yamaha DS-XG Sound
Card' from linuxnewbie.org.

'./configure' seems to work fine, but when i subsequently enter 'make' i
get the following error message with all 3 packages:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:9: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo
make[1]: *** [sound.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/creaktop/alsa-driver-0.5.10a/kernel'
make: *** [compile] Error 1

this message is preceeded by a whole load of other stuff that i dont
comprehend (not that i understand this!), but that does not seem to
be error messages.

I cant find any Mandrake specific rpms of alsa drivers beyond 0.5.9c,
which is currently installed.

I've looked all over, but cant find any documentation on this
error message, and i'd greatly appreciate some help.

BTW: can anyone recommend a file-utility with which i can access my
Linux harddrive from windows?

TIA

creaktop

 >>Please contact me for my PGP key<<

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.