it depends really.  I usually go through and remove kernel support for
everything that I don't have/use.  This and the processor optimizations
usually give me a little bit of performance increase.  The last time I
did it I benchmarked quake3 before and after.  There was a 15fps
increase with the newly compiled kernel.  Not a lot but noticeable if
your machine is hovering around 40fps.

The two things I do to a stock mandrake install that seem to result in
the most noticeable speed increase are:

1.  Recompile X and all apps that I use regularly- vast speed
improvement here.  Windowmaker opens within a second of hitting enter
after typing startx.  The gimp is open and running in one second.  Yes,
one.  I just timed it.  Konqueror (an app I don't recompile) 2 seconds.

2.  Hdparm:  before optimizations netscape takes five or more seconds to
open.  After it takes around 2.  Boot up speed is not affected because I
place the optimizations in rc.local so it gets run at the end of boot
up.

Basically no single thing adds a lot of speed to the machine but all of
these things in conjunciton do quite a bit to speed up the machine.

Abe