I have a Pentium II 350MHz with 256MB of RAM. Would there be any speed
benefit in compiling my most often used packages (e.g. the Kernel and X)
myself? It looks like a good thing to do with faster processors (and I would
definitely do this if I had and Athlon or a Pentium III), but I'm not sure if
it'll do much (if any) with a Pentium II, since Mandrake is compiled for
Pentiums, which is not much of a step down from where I am. I am trying
everything I can to speed up my slightly-slow system. I have already
optimised my hdparm settings and I plan to switch from ext2 to ReiserFS
sometime soon. My system isn't slow enough to really consider changing my
software (e.g. I use Konqueror and GNOME), but it still is a bit kludgy and
worth trying to improve.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.