On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Julio Gutierrez wrote:

> I have a Yamaha ymf724 pci sound card, and is is detected under Mandrake 7.2
> but my problem is that it doesn't work when i try to do a sndconfig it tells
> me that my card is not supported, does anyone know if I can find the
drivers
> somewhere? because I can't live without my radio!
>
> Thank you in advance!

All right then Julio,

You'll need the ALSA sound drivers. Just download them as a .bz2 archive
from www.alsa-project.org, then unzip the archive, change into the
directory where you have them unpacked, then run the configure script

./configure

make

make install

then run the attached snddevices script

./snddevices

finally, add the following lines to your /etc/conf.modules (or
modules.conf):

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ymfpci
options snd-card-interwave snd_index=0 snd_id="YMF724"

# OSS/Free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

That should do the trick! Oh, and just to be on the safe side: reboot
first (and then don't forget to unmute the mixer with any given mixer
app. There's one in KDE, and there's also an Enlightenment applet that
will help you do that, or, alternatively, you might want to use the one
from the alsa-utils package that you can download from the same site (go
for the libraries as well, you might need them at some point)

Cheerio,

Pope Mickey XXIII, patron saint of all unenlightened lightbulbs, Zee Blue
Rat Ov Kaos, Offender Of The Faith.

"The earth is full of ghosts now
 Ghosts that sweat and ghosts that sigh
 Instead of peace just stop and cease