hey wayne, let me be te first to say that you should turn off HTML mail
as it will enrage some otherwise perfectly coherent people to the point
of insanity.  So, if you want to reach the widest possible group of
people for answers to your questions and generally be a good member of
the online community, send all your email as plain ASCII text.

As far as your motherboard goes, my first thought is that those
addresses might not be the ones that are actually in use on your
machine.  If this is a dual boot machine you can find those I/O
addresses in the device mangler under windows.  You use the first four
addresses and add 2 to the second and fourth.  Lke this

8400-8407
8000-8003
7800-7807
7400-7403
yields

ide2=0x8400,0x8002 ide3=0x7800,0x7402

If those numbers are correct for your machine then I don't know what
your problem might be.  I have limited experience with trouble shooting
ATA100 controllers on A7V's because I've been lucky so far....

good luck!

Abe