Hi, John and all;

Early this morning (about 4:11 am), I finished downloading the ISO files
that I began last Sunday evening.  It took only 5.5 days to download both
ISO
files with my super duper speedy delivery dial-up connection.  ;)

I tried to install this version of Linux-Mandrake, having been burned to CD
but am told by the installer that it doesn't appear to be a Linux-Mandrake
disk.  After several attempts including 1 with the purchased CD (which
contains only a beta of KDE2.0 but which initializes correctly) I booted
back to Windows and looked at the purchased disk (showed a number of
directories as expected) and at the one I had just burned (contains no tree
nor even 1 directory, only the ISO file.. which is exactly the correct size
as compared to what I downloaded.)

I decided that I better test the install boot (floppy) disk I made,
thinking that it might be pointing to something it can't find on the CD.
(by the way, the CD device I used to try to install either disk is the
writer not the
CD-ROM; everything works fine with the purchased disk but not the one I
burned)  In my BIOS, i changed the boot order to boot from the the cd
device,
then C:\ then A:\.  On reboot, I read that CD failed and it booted to C:\.
I tried both CD devices with the same failure resulting.

What must I do to make this file function?  A rhetorical question:  4.5
years ago when I was totally new to Windows (had only ever used a DOS
machine before that), I never had this much trouble with that OS nor since;
why do I want this one so much?  Rhetoric off, rant on: why IS this such a
bugger to install and configure for someone who is not a programmer and
'only' a user?  Wouldn't Linux be more likely to do some serious damage to
the MS market if it were a little more user friendly?  Rant off. <g>

Tenacity reigns; I still want Linux.  Any suggestions anyone?

Dave

--
Dave Burrows
741 Cleveland Road