Meph Istopheles wrote:
> Morning,
>
>   Now it's my turn to ask about scanners.
>
>   I have two I've yet to get working in either Linux or W2k (I
> may be onto something with the Silitek in W2k, but I'm waiting on
> a response from someone on that).
>
>   In any case, in lm7.2, everything, of course, is rpm.  Trouble
> is, the module for the Plustek (parallel) requires first
> installing the module into the sane directory & then recompiling
> sane.  Uh, is there a way to do that with an rpm?  Otherwise,
> which tar version of sane would I get?  The doc on the module
> doesn't go into that.
>
>   Then, for the Silitek (usb), I've come by so little (Silitek
> doesn't really know what support is, & their site doesn't open
> any longer).
>
>   Anyone know how I could get either (or both) of these working?
>
>   Meph

I don't know anything about Silitek but the Plustek parallel port scanners
work very well with linux (even better than with windows because the system
is not blocked during scanning).
You should install the following rpms:
sane-1.0.4-1mdk
sane-frontends-1.0.4-1mdk
libsane1-1.0.4-1mdk
sane-backends-1.0.4-1mdk
Then get from http://home.t-online.de/home/g-jaeger/plustek.html the
appropiate driver plustek-sane-0_37_23.tar.gz
put this file in a new directory e.g. plustek
tar zxvf plustek-sane-0_37_23.tar.gz
cd plustek_driver
make
su
make install
read the INSTALL-File for the modification of /etc/modules.conf

Uli