R. Lahaye wrote:
> (updating 2.1.3-16 to 2.1.3-18.3)
>
> I then used the replace package and files options.
> I now have both glibc version when I look at the output of "rpm -qa".

It is generally not a good idea to force or replace files with a rpm of the
importance of glibc.

> Removing the old package still fails:
>
> # rpm -e glibc-2.1.3-16mdk
> memory alloc returned NULL.
> #

No, don't remove the old package.  It seems like the rpm for glibc 2.1.3-18.3
that you have is corrupted some how.  this is what I would do:

#rpm -e glibc-2.1.3-18.3mdk

(and do not force it. If it doesn't uninstall without problems then there is
a reason for it)

Then grab your LM 7.2 cds.  under /cdrom-path/Mandrake/RPMS/. find
glibc-2.1.3-16mdk.i585.rpm. then do:

#rpm -Uvh --force glibc-2.1.3-16mdk.i586.rpm

solve the depency problems if there are any.  The reason for doing this is to
clean up your rpm db.  this --force option is designed for downgrading.  If
glibc-2.1.3-18.3mdk didn't uninstall before, it should now.

Now download glibc-2.1.3-18.3mdk from another site and try again but don't
force it (what i means by forcing is using the options --nodeps or
--replacefiles)

remember, if an rpm install doesn't work it is for a good reason (usually).

-jason