hi

this is a ......hmm.....more general than mandrake-related problem......but
maybe someone can help me on this though:

i have 2hdd in my P200 server:

hda :500 MB : hda1 swap 64 MB
                      hda2 ext2 linux extended 440 MB
                      hda5 ext2 root partition
hdb: 500 MB: hdb1 500 MB /usr part.

now i got several things working on my system and i want to make a backup
of my hole system to be able to simply put out the 2x500 hdds and
put  another hdd with my backup system on in.....

for  this reason i have one 1 GB scsi disk which i want to transfer my
existing system to.
i want sda to carry :       100 MB swap
                                     200 MB root
                                     700 MB /usr (because i do not have
enough space on the IDE disk.....500 MB are too less)

so i got norton ghost, created a boot disk and booted into ghost, ready to
do a partition to partiton copy of my IDE drive to the scsi drive.

problems:

1) i want to decrease the size of the root partition on the scsi drive to
200 MB (from the original 440 MB on the IDE) to get more space          for
/usr, but ghost will only let me copy the existing root partition to a
part. on the scsi drive that is at least as big as the original.
so my 1st problem is how to manage to decrease root partition from 440 MB
to 200 MB......because there are only 90 MB actually used from the 440.

2) i already tried to leave the root partition untouched, copying it with
the full 440 MB, just to get things working for now, everything seemed to
work ok, i rebooted with my normal linux system on the IDE drive, mounted
the scsi root and edited lilo.conf to contain :

boot=dev/sda (i have a linux standalone, so i want to use the MBR for LILO)
and i set the pathnames for the rootpart. accordingly to /dev/sda5

then i issued a : lilo -C lilo.conf -b /dev/sda from the command line in
the /mnt/sda/etc/ directory to install LILO in the MBR of the scsi disk. i
also modified fstab to contain the valid drive names.

then i rebooted, set my bios to boot from scsi ( i made sure that my scsi
disk is ID0, since i found postings on deja stating that u can only boot
from ID0 scsi)
and got following from LILO :

LI

nothing more......then my machine hangs......

i tried to go the other way, installing LILO in the root part. and setting
the bootable flag with fdisk........no change.....
LILO just seems to be unable to start from the scsi disk......

has anyone any hints on this ?......

-Quaylar-
Icq# 30932448
[EMAIL PROTECTED]