That's probably it.  What did you do to disable it?  Bios?  Does your mobo
have jumpers or dip switches you could disable it with there?  I have the
i815, but I can't remember if it has them or not.  (I just put it in back in
July, bad memory).  I remember distinctly my 440BX needing the jumpers moved
to disable onboard video.  But if it does, that would be a good idea to try.
Also there is a setting in the bios that says something like, first display
unit or init or such.  make sure it says pci (even if it's agp).
Well not much help I know.  I know how frustrating it can be.

If you know all your system specs like the horizonal and vertical sync rates
of your monitor and the exact ram on the video card, you can configure x from
the command line by typing xfconfig.
-s