Hey,

> I have a few friends whom I share access to their linux boxes
> and in return I give them access to mine...  it's a tit for tat
> thing.  If I want to block everyone except certain IP's, how
> can I do that?

  While the previous post will get you what you're after under
most circumstances, there might be trouble on occasion.  I'd
searched & searched till I'd found an example on the Web which
has simply not failed me.

  For hosts.allow:

#allow everything inside of the network & a few select others
ALL: LOCAL, .yourdomain.com, 165.22.8.112, 207.109.85.60

#Give myself some access points in case DNS gets fucked
in.telnetd: xxx.xx.xxx.xx
in.telnetd: 207.109.85.60
in.telnetd: 165.22.8.112
in.ftpd: xxx.xx.xxx.xx
in.ftpd: xxx.xx.xxx.xx
in.ftpd: 207.109.85.60
in.ftpd: 165.22.8.112

  Here, ALL indicates (basically) that anyone attempting
is allowed, but LOCAL means that any with my domain (which
is listed) & two specific ip's (boxes I use at work) can
access.  But even if someone spoofed my domain, they'd still have
to have a legitimate ip address (one of which is indicated where
I have the x's), followed by each of those boxes at work which
are allowed telnet & ftp (though I can kill the telnet now I have
ssh working....).

  For hosts.deny:

ALL: ALL

  This is what's called the paranoid set up.  It tells the system
that everyone is to be kept out unless there are specific entries
in hosts.allow.

  Give this one a shot.  And yes, you can use partial domains &
ip's -- just remember that if it's the second part (like
yahoo.com) you have to lead it off with a . (so, .yahoo.com, or
like near the end like 207.109.85.).

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux