Sorry if this was covered in an earlier post but 2 questions reguarding your sustem.

How was your Matrox card set-up during installation, what driver and which version of
X?
Does your MOBO have onboard vid. and is it jumppered to disabled?

   The symptons/lockup you describe indicate a problem in the X system.
Just as a test try running your system at 600x800 60mhz and 16bit color to see if you
still encounter the same system abnomalities.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.