> > 1) I use Samba step by step, but Linuxconf just ignores and deletes
existing
> > smb.conf info :-(
>
> Use vi and "man smb.conf"

I was able to restore the Samba SbS version and use that, buit it isn't very
friendly of linuxconf to chuck away an existing smb.conf (us newbies can't
cope with that (or with VI for that matter ;-)

> > 2) I can't get the printer to work, because it uses cups (of Java
coffee?)
> > and I cannot find how to configure it with samba.
>
> If your cups works, restart samba, and everything will be well (except,
> add the "-r" option to the print command line in smb,conf)

It wasn't that simple, I had to add a very complex print command with lots
of %s...

> > 3) I have two linux machines, only one of which (isis) has a printer
(HP),
> > yet cups seems to find another lp@hydra (hydra is the name of the other
> > computer, that has no printer).

> You have some printer listed in your /etc/printcap, probably to your
> other linux boxes printer. Don't worry about it.

I don't have any... very strange that cups should find a printer where there
ain't one ;-)

> > 4) It took me six times to install Mandrake on my machine with a 10 GB
IDE
> > HD and two 2 GB SCSI HDs, because LILO was only LI or the disk was full
(?)
> > or it couldn't find a printer, or it stopped when the floppy had to be
made.
> > When it did eventually work, it was without floppy. .. that step just
got
> > skipped :-(
>
> Did you make a boot disk during install ? Then you could have fixed the
> LI problem. You didn't ? Did you try booting from the CD in rescue mode
> ? (Press F1)

It never got as far as askming me to make a floppy and when it should have,
it just skipped it... :-(

> > 5) Telnet and swat do not work, despite being enabled in services...
>
> Install the telnet-server RPM (or rather ssh, best to get out of the
> telnet habit)

I shall try... I am behind a router in my own home, so don't really need to
worry...

> > 6) Then I tried to install Corel Office for Windows, but it can't find
> > Fontastic... :-(
>
> Why does windows need Fontastic ?

Sorry, I mean Office for Linux, and the Fonttastic problem is apparently
well know... makes life hard for non techies who want a reliable Linux
machine :-(

> Assuming you mean the linux version,
> if you follow the installation intructions, it normally works, after
> only a bit of debugging. It's been a while since I did this ... I use
> Star Office now ...

I have it working after forcing a fonttastic install and tinkering with the
XF86config.4 or somesuch... now it works ;-)

Now I just need to get swat and telnet working and then I can start worrying
about why I don't yet have any sound on my machines...

Rgds

Martin

Old Amsterdam